Monday, April 7, 2008

Creepy.

Looking through the April issue of Wired Magazine, I came across an article that really creeped me out. The Article was called " Its All in Your Head" and it discussed a new advertising medium called hypersonic sound.

What is that your probably wondering? Well prepare to be absolutely shocked if you haven't heard about it yet. Advertising companies have been experimenting with tapping into our heads, literally. The way hypersonice sound works is it broadcasts audio into a focused beam so that only the person who is standing in its path can hear the message.

Clive Thompson, who wrote the article, was walking in Manhattan when he heard a women's voice and could not figure out where it was coming from. He soon learned that it was the cable channel A & E trying to promote their show about the paranormal. Thompson was fascinated but at the same time he felt creeped out, and I do not blame his reaction. Thompson questioned if we have a right to "mental privacy" and I think we definitly do.

I think that all these new researches are pretty compelling but at the same time I really think that I would go nuts if I was walking down the street and couldn't identify where the "noises" in my head were coming from. I think we're already bombarded with enough messages throughout the day without anyone literally being tapped into our heads.

How would you guys feel?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that this new invention creeps me out. I have enough to worry about during the day, and I really don't want to start hearing voices in my head not knowing where it is coming from. Thats probably just going to drive me insane.

Inverted Aim said...

I agree I think we're bombarded with enough commercial messages as it is, and I think the idea of a computer brain should be more about access rather than reception.

abida0806 said...

i was thinking about how companies advertise their products, like the proactive radio commercials. They repeat their telephone number like 3 times, and i swear i hear that commercial everytime im in the shower. i know the number by heart, and one time i was in my boyfriends car, and the commercial came on, and i repeated the telephone number (1800 508-5913)and he looked at me like i was a psycho.

theprofessor7 said...

Ohh...i don't like that at all. It's like the teletubbies sending messages to little kids. What's next with this stuff?

sg said...

That's really weird and interesting, however it doesn't seem anymore creepy to me than all the other advertising techniques. Companies try to target kids and get them hooked for life on their brands, that seems equally creepy to me.

Teri said...

I think it's cool. Marketers are figuring out the current forms of advertising aren't working as much as they'd like and are trying something new. I don't think it's really invading mental privacy. It's not like someone's reading your thoughts. They're just forcing you to think about a product.

jaca said...

It would be creepy, like what big brother telling to watch this or buy this, there are already enough ads flying all over we dont need anymore trying to get into our heads.creeepppyyy

Winnie W said...

I would feel totally creeped out. I probably wouldn't notice that I'm being brainwashed until I'm at home watching something on TV and then realized 'OMG this sounds soo familiar. Where have I heard it from? No way the sky was talking to me.'

But I think with this new invention, it goes beyond just advertisement. I'm afraid this would be used for national security or something the government would find useful.

Alexia said...

The government needs to put an end to this stuff, if you ask me. Comercialism is getting way out of hand.